Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Living Mindfully

OMG!  How do I lose a can of hair spray!?!  It's like the tallest hair care product I own and I only use it like twice a year.  I even have a specific place that I put it so I know where to find it later.  It's not there!!!

This is my life.  EVERYDAY!  I play lost and found several times a day day.  Where did I put my ink pen?  Oh, there is right in front of me on my keyboard.  Where is my phone?  Oh, it's under that piece of paper.  Why did I walk into this room?  Oh, I'm sure there was a good reason.

My problem is, I'm so busy thinking about the next thing I have to do I don't pay attention to what I'm doing in the moment.  Since I don't pay attention, I'm not making a memory of my actions.  Most of the time I don't even panic anymore when I can't find something.  I know it'll turn up eventually.

I used to lose everything.  And I mean EVERYTHING!!! Shoes, keys, the sunglasses sitting on my head... none of it was ever really lost.  I just wasn't mindful of any of it.  I would just set things down or place things somewhere but not be conscious of any of it.  Over time, I've made some changes which have cut down on my misplacing things.  I hang my keys on the key-hook when I come home.  I (eventually) return my shoes to my closet.  I check my head before looking for my sunglasses... and so on.

No comments: