Monday, February 15, 2016

thatonerule:#2464



You can ask, but you can't force.
You can suggest, but you can make.
You can want, but you may not get.
You can wish, but you can't grant.
You can nudge, but you can't push.

I know that I can only control what I can control.  I know this.  That doesn't mean I never get frustrated or disappointed when what I'd like to see happen or what I need to see happen does not happen.  I do sometimes.  I've been down right rotten to others because of it.  When it's something that's really important to me.  Something that I really need.  Something that I've asked for, suggested and nudged at over and over again.  Even then, I have to be OK with it being out of my control...I'm not always OK with it.  I have to come to terms with it...I don't always want to come to terms with it.  It isn't always easy to accept with grace.  It can be a struggle.


This is a prayer that has gotten me through many recent struggles.  I say this to myself often... at work, at home, and in a long line at the grocery store.  I have the wisdom to know the things I can and cannot change.  I'm working on accepting the things I cannot change.  I'm working on the courage to change the things I can change.  But do I want to change? What do I want to change?  And do I have to accept everything I cannot change?

No comments: