![]() |
| A very minimalist home screen. |
Our cell phones have become like extra appendages. They're miniature computer that we carry everywhere with us. We find it difficult to spend time away from them. We miss them. We find it difficult to think without them. We panic when we think we've misplaced them; although, I admit, the things are damn expensive so some panic is expected. We are addicted. Who are we without them?
I broke down and got a smart phone last January. In many ways, I'm glad I did. Texting is easier which makes me more likely to return a text. I've got access to maps. I don't have to remember to pack my camera. I can make lists, access coupons, access email, etc. Unfortunately, the smart phone is also bordering on a major distraction. There are all these apps. Apps for weather. Apps for Facebook. Game apps. Mood apps. Video apps. You name it. There's an App for it. I love it. And I hate it.
I kind of miss the days when cell phones were simpler; when I was less accessible. What I mean is, aside from a phone call my phone has at least 5 more ways for someone to get in touch with me: text messaging, Facebook, Facebook Messenger, game app chats, and email. Not that I don't have people to communicate with, but I used to go days between messages when I had a dumb phone. Now, I'm almost disappointed if I don't communicate with at least someone every day, and the pressure to respond to someone quickly isn't anything to ignore either. Like, they totally know I read their Facebook messenger message... gotta respond or they'll think I'm blowing them off.
Actually, I kind of miss the days without cell phones, but since ditching my smart phone isn't a feasible option I decided that I would make it simple again. I uninstalled the apps that I absolutely don't use. I grouped together the apps that I use but that I don't need to see all the time. I rearranged them a little. I now no longer have to scroll between 3 home screens. Hallelujah!
Actually, I kind of miss the days without cell phones, but since ditching my smart phone isn't a feasible option I decided that I would make it simple again. I uninstalled the apps that I absolutely don't use. I grouped together the apps that I use but that I don't need to see all the time. I rearranged them a little. I now no longer have to scroll between 3 home screens. Hallelujah!



No comments:
Post a Comment