Friday, March 15, 2013

Sweet, Cold, and With a Shot of Something

I recently had dinner with a few lovely ladies at a great restaurant.  I will now share this lovely experience.

Our drink orders were taken after the majority of the group was seated.  I decided on a Pecan Praline Martini because I can't pass up tasty-sounding martini flavor that I've never tried.  The others decided on a variety of other drinks.

Our drinks began to arrive.  Lovely Lady Number One (LL1) received her martini.  The martini came with a straw.  She looked at it for a second, swirled it around in her drink and took a taste of her drink by sucking on the end of the straw.  She scrunched up her face (Could a lemon drop martini be that bad???) and said that her drink didn't taste right.  She then took a sip.  I guess it turned out to be ok after all because she didn't comment further.  Maybe the sugar coated rim made it all better.

After my drink arrived, Lovely Lady Number Two (LL2) exclaimed that my drink looked delicious.  I told her what I had ordered.  I also mentioned that, while it was quite tasty, it didn't particularly taste like a praline.  She decided to order the same, but mentioned that she liked very sweet drinks.  I made sure to tell her that this drink was not super sweet so she would not be surprised when her drink arrived.  I got the impression that the non-sweetness of the drink could send her off the deep end.

The others' drinks began to arrive.  LL2 kept turning around to see if her drink was being delivered.  She was concerned that her drink was taking to long to arrive.  Keep in mind she ordered her drink last and after our appetizer order was taken.  Finally, her drink arrived.  She grabs one sugar packet and two Splenda packets, rips them open, and pours them into her drink.  Just pours them in without tasting it to see if adding the sweeteners will make it taste better.  She takes a few sips.  She puts in about 25 10 ice cubes.  IN THE MARTINI GLASS!  (OMG!  I'm sitting right next to her and at this point barely resisting the urge to ask her if she also likes very cold drinks.  I'm also thinking that by now the drink should be to her liking.)  She discusses the drink with LL1.  LL1 takes a sip of the drink and seems pleased with the result.

Our food begins to arrive.  LL2 stops the waitress while she has no less that 5 piping hot plates in her hands to ask that she bring her a shot of chocolate syrup or some creme de cacao to put in her drink.  Even LL1 is telling her that the drink is ok.  She then says that the waitress can bring it when she is free, but can she please bring a shot of chocolate syrup or some creme de cacao or something.  (No I am not repeating myself.)  Finally the shot of something arrived.  I have no idea what the waitress brought her, but I don't care.  (Maybe she will stop fussing over the drink now.  Fingers crossed.)  Whatever it was seemed make the drink stack up to her drink standards:  sweet, cold and with a shot of something!

[Insert dinner here.]

I finished my martini.  She leaves a fourth of her martini in the glass and urgently demands the check.  Oh, the shame of alcohol abuse!

No comments: