Tip jars are everywhere. Have you noticed this? Not only are these tip jars sprouting up everywhere, but now there are even tip lines appearing on receipts when you pay with a credit/debit card. I see this and think: You're kidding, right?
Herein lies the conundrum. Am I supposed to tip when you are simply performing the job that you are already being paid to do? (Let's leave the wait staff out of it. They typically get paid a menial wage and then have perform the job well in order to get tips. So they don't count here.) Used to be that we'd only see these tip jars at coffee shops. For some reason that never bothered me. But now these tip jars have shown up at Subway, Izzo's Illegal Burrito, Roly Poly, and the list goes on and on and on. Should I feel obligated to tip at these places? I have tipped there before, but I don't anymore. However, I always feel like I am being judged whenever I put a slashed out zero in the tip line and write in the subtotal in the total line or when I get change back and fail to throw the coins in the jar. Yeah, they are fixing me a burrito or a sandwich, however I am getting my napkins, forks, filling my own drink, and if eating "in" I must refill my own drink and throw my own trash in the trash can.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Not to tip. That is the answer. :) Unless you feel compelled - there is no reason to feel any false guilt over not tipping - especially since you're doing all of the legwork yourself. They're not waiting on you - why tip? It's outta hand. Rather ridiculous. I mean, what do they think? That we're made of money? Haven't they seen the news about the recession? Down with the tip jars! :)
Post a Comment