Sunday, November 16, 2008

So be good for goodness sake.

As we approach the Christmas season one might see these ads begin to pop up. These ads are being generated for the American Humanist Association. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

"Many people imagine that the only way to be good in this world is through belief in a god. But is that really necessary? Must we be bound by moral dictates set down in “sacred” texts written hundreds, if not thousands of years ago? Must we accept the authority and judgments of “spiritual” leaders and religious hierarchy? Does religious faith offer the only lens through which to judge life’s events?"

I've often wondered these same things.

Now, don't take this the wrong way. I do believe in God. I do believe in Jesus Christ. I do believe that the Bible holds the God-given guidance on how we should live our lives. However I have often questioned these things. I guess since I do believe and have never wavered in my belief of the existance of God that I can't be objective. I guess it is possible to live a good, moral life without the belief in a supreme being, but would you ever wonder how it is that you developed your moral values? Where did they come from? And, if there is no God, why does it matter? These are also things I've often wondered.

I have to admit that my impressions of people come first from how they conduct theirselves rather than from their stance in their belief in God. It's not like we all walk around with a sign on our foreheads that reads "believer" or "non-believer" or "on-the-fence" so the only way we have to form and opinion on someone is by their words and their actions.

So, to make a long story short... My biggest problem is this: We can't have "Merry Christmas" anywhere because that might make some people uncomfortable, but we can have advertisements asking "Why believe in god?". The mention of a diety is still out there. It just doesn't make sense to me. Seriously. My brain hurts.

Merry Christmas! Y'all be good now, ya hear!!!

No comments: